Child Protection

Minneapolis Child Protection Lawyer

CHIPS (Child In Need of Protection and/or Services)

The Juvenile Court has jurisdiction in all proceedings concerning the welfare of any child who is alleged to be in need of protection or services, or neglected and in foster care.

If you have been served with a Petition alleging that your child is in need of protection or services, it is very important to contact an experienced attorney who can advise you of your rights and assist you throughout the process.

Who May File a CHIPS Petition?

Any reputable person, including but not limited to any agent of the commissioner of Human Services, having knowledge of a child in this State or of a child who is a resident of this State who appears to be in need of protection or services or neglected and in foster care may petition the juvenile court.

There are several circumstances, if alleged, that may give rise to a CHIPS Petition, including:

  • The child is the victim of sexual or physical abuse.
  • The child has been abandoned without a guardian or custodian.
  • The child is found without adequate food, clothing, education, shelter, or other required care.
  • The child lacks special care that is required by a mental, physical, or emotional condition because the parent or guardian is unwilling or unable to provide that care.
  • The child is medically neglected or fails to thrive.
  • The parent or guardian wishes to be relieved as a caregiver with just cause.
  • The child has been placed in another’s care or adopted in violation of the law.
  • The child is a habitual truant, a runaway, or is engaging in prostitution.
  • The child is under the age of ten and has committed a crime.

If you are facing allegations that your child is in need of protection or services; or if you suspect a child may need protection or services, it is important to know your rights and understand the process.

Contact Shellie Lundgren Law Office at 612-333-3908 for your free case evaluation.